st lukes parish


Search

Any term All terms


St Benedicts Community, Sawtry
St Benedict

HISTORY OF SAWTRY CATHOLIC COMMUNITY SINCE 1947


To learn our our Patron Saint, Saint Benedict, please click here ST BENEDICT

The History of St Benedict's Community in Sawtry begins in 1947...................

Margaret Mason moved to Sawtry and at this time Missionary caravans would come and park in the Royal Oak Pub car park. Mass was celebrated and Confessions heard over a period of approximately 5 days at a time.

In 1951 it is known that the Land Army girls used their truck to take people to Mass at St Michaels in Huntingdon. People also used to cycle.

In 1952 Fathers McCormack, Davenport, Hughes and Marsh came to conduct Religious Instructions and Catechism to children preparing for Communion. It is known that the homes of various people were used.

In the mid 1950's Father Wace would celebrate house Masses - Mr Faber's in Glatton was one location, and other homes in Sawtry were used also.

A few years later Mass was celebrated every 3rd Sunday of the month in the wooden hut, which is now the Ex Service Men's Working Club.

Information is needed to cover the time from the late 50's to mid 70's.

In 1976 it is know that the venue changed for Mass and various places were used, including The Old School Hall, Church Hall and even a short stay at Mellors Court. The priests from St Peter and All Souls in Peterborough used to come on a Saturday evening to celebrate Mass.

In 1980 Mass moved once again and was celebrated in the Women's Institute Hall in Gidding Road - this remains its venue to this day.

Women's Institute Hall, Sawtry


In 1981 St Benedicts Catholic Community was formed.

The priests who have served St Benedicts in recent times are Mgr Paul Hypher (now retired), Fr Gary Dowsey 1988-1994 (presently working in the USA), Fr Henry MacCarthy 1994 - 2003 (now Parish Priest at St Peter's, Gorleston), Fr John Warrington, 2003 - 2011. The present Parish Priest is Father John Minh.

Mass is celebrated every Sunday at 9.15am in the Women's Institute Hall in Gidding Road - all are very welcome.

Any further information regarding the History of the Roman Catholic Community in Sawtry would be welcome. Please send any information to Fr John Minh at 14 Sellers Grange, Orton Goldhay, Peterborough. PE2 5XX or via email saintlukesparish@yahoo.co.uk




 Printable Version



Quicklinks


©St Lukes Parish, St Lukes Church: Benyon Grove, Orton Malborne, PE2 5XS